All that said, I've seen a quite a few people with imagined soundtracks to their books which fit a certain scene or match a character's personality. I'm always intrigued to see what other people like listening to and happy when their choice of song is something I've heard and like. I've never created an "official" book soundtrack and posted it. I've thought about it though.
So... what the heck! Here's my unveiling of songs of interesting from my Hacked Investigations series. I don't quite have set music per novella like I sometimes tend to do with full-length novels. These songs just tend to fit with in one form or another with either the characters, the world building/setting, or some aspect of the plot (which I'll explain what I can with the listings of the songs). These are in no particular order.
- Technophobia by Progression - Love the name of the song. It has a very electronic and cyber-ish sound, which fits since the series is cyberpunk.
- Intensify (Blind Faith Remix) by Way Out West - Again, it's electronic and fits with feel of the world, but it kind of also defines the world the hero and heroine live in (which has a fix for any imperfection with their implants and high-tech science), and it also reminds me of their relationship with each other.
- Help, I'm Alive by Metric - The overall story arc is on Ian and Hannah's (the hero and heroine) struggle against MAX Home Security (the main villain), and this song is reminiscent of how I imagine they feel when they're trying to come out alive and on top. lol
- Clubbed to Death by Rob Dougan - And when things aren't going so well for Ian and Hannah... *grins* This is a great song to write to. It makes me want to dance. Yes, I admit, I've written a love scene to it too. My husband thought I was weird.
- Singular Destructible Droid by Papa Roach - This one actually is one of the few that I can narrow down to a particular-ish person in the story. This song was the influence for the villain in Savage Bytes (book 2) who I had envisioned like a cyborg, and while there are aspects of that, the villain changed a little from what I'd anticipated while writing, so I may have used some of that inspiration in book 3, Blacklist Rogue. ;-)
- Just Say It by Sleepthief - This is a beautiful song, and it fits some of the hardships Ian and Hannah go through both before the series begins, since they were a couple but they had a bad break up, and during a few rough patches in their relationship during the series. But this is a romance after all, they wouldn't be "tear[ing] down the bridge and build[ing] a divide" in this series.
Do you like the idea of "soundtracks" for books? If you're an author, have you made one before?